Information about funding your learning

If you are looking to learn something new you will generally have to pay a fee . However there are some circumstances where you may receive concessions (a reduction in the overall cost), the course may be free or you may even receive some money to learn.

  • If you are over 60 or receiving benefits some organisations will give you a reduction in your overall fees – Check the brochures and, if in doubt, ask at the college
  • If you do not have any qualifications at Level 2 (for example you do not have 5 GCSEs A*-C/ or you have GCSEs but you do not have A Levels) and the course you want to do means you would get a qualification you may be able to get some funding – Check the brochures and ask at the college.
  • If you are thinking about doing a degree you may be able to receive funding. Speak to the Student Support team within the City Council.
  • If you are studying English as a second language and you are a permanent resident you may be able to get free or cheaper courses – Check the brochures and ask at the college
  • If you want to learn to change your job or improve your job prospects you may be able to apply for a Career Development Loan or get specific support through the college/ organisation. Look at the Money to Learn website